What do we do about college?

If you are seeking “Post-Secondary Support” or financial contribution toward college costs, you must file a modification before your child turns 18 or finishes high school. Please review the specific language in your existing order to determine your deadline. The Court will want to know the following information:

1. Your child’s grades

2. Where your child has applied/been accepted and the tuition cost

3. Whether or not the two parents both attended college themselves

4. Whether there was an expectation that the child attended college

The Prosecuting Attorney’s Office will not file this on your behalf. You must do this on your own. You can find all the forms you need on the Washington Courts’ website.  The best time to file this motion is usually first semester of the child’s senior year in high school.

Show All Answers

1. I think my child Support amount should be raised (or lowered). What should I do?
2. If my Child Support Order meets the criteria for review, what happens next?
3. I was served with a Petition to Modify Child Support, what should I do?
4. I received a Motion to Adjust Child Support Order, what should I do?
5. How does the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office calculate the child support payment?
6. What should I do if I need a deviation from the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office proposed child support transfer payment?
7. I now have a court date, what should I do?
8. Is there childcare available at Court?
9. I am unemployed and no longer able to pay my child support. What should I do?
10. I went back to school full-time and now don't have any income. Will you lower my support?
11. What if I need my parenting plan established or modified?
12. I have a new baby with a new partner, does that matter?
13. Can I be required to pay for a child's daycare and special child rearing expenses?
14. My kids are now teenagers and they are involved in a lot of activities. Can you help?
15. What do we do about college?
16. Can someone in your office help me fill out my paperwork?
17. What happens when there is a history of domestic violence in my case.
18. What if the paying parent isn't paying?
19. How do I obtain copies of my court orders?