If my Child Support Order meets the criteria for review, what happens next?

After a referral by DCS, the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office will decide whether your case meets our criteria for filing a petition or motion with the court. The Prosecuting Attorney’s Office reviews the information supplied by the parties prior to filing. The case can be tracked one of two ways:

1. The case may be filed as a Petition for Modification. This is the more expansive option for reviewing the order. With a Petition for Modification, the court can review all facets of the child support order unless specifically prohibited by language in the underlying order. The court can address the issue of tax exemptions, college costs, and changes to health insurance. Modifications are the preferred choice if one or both parties is self-employed to allow additional time for the exchange of discovery. If your current Order of Child Support is from outside Jefferson County and/or outside the state of Washington, your case must be filed as a modification. Modifications take place approximately 3 months after the case has been filed.

2. The case may be filed as a Motion for Adjustment of Child Support. Order These cases are handled in a more streamlined manner. The Court can review updated incomes for the parties and draft new orders with a new support amount. In a Motion for Adjustment of Child Support Order, the court cannot address tax exemptions, college costs, or healthcare insurance. These issues will default to the current language in your original order. The court can only adjust the child support payment. Adjustments take place approximately three months after filing.

It is imperative that our office has an updated address and phone numbers for both parties. As the case moves forward, you will receive numerous letters updating the status of your case and requesting additional information from you.

All income and resources of each parent’s household must be disclosed. The opposing party will receive copies of everything you submit. It is your responsibility to black out all of your social security numbers, bank account statement numbers, and other identifying numbers.

Please understand that even if our office declines to file your case at this time, you may always proceed on your own or resubmit it for review at a later time.

Show All Answers

1. I think my child Support amount should be raised (or lowered). What should I do?
2. If my Child Support Order meets the criteria for review, what happens next?
3. I was served with a Petition to Modify Child Support, what should I do?
4. I received a Motion to Adjust Child Support Order, what should I do?
5. How does the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office calculate the child support payment?
6. What should I do if I need a deviation from the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office proposed child support transfer payment?
7. I now have a court date, what should I do?
8. Is there childcare available at Court?
9. I am unemployed and no longer able to pay my child support. What should I do?
10. I went back to school full-time and now don't have any income. Will you lower my support?
11. What if I need my parenting plan established or modified?
12. I have a new baby with a new partner, does that matter?
13. Can I be required to pay for a child's daycare and special child rearing expenses?
14. My kids are now teenagers and they are involved in a lot of activities. Can you help?
15. What do we do about college?
16. Can someone in your office help me fill out my paperwork?
17. What happens when there is a history of domestic violence in my case.
18. What if the paying parent isn't paying?
19. How do I obtain copies of my court orders?