How do I drop charges?

You cannot “drop charges.” The Prosecuting Attorney files charges on behalf of the citizens of the State of Washington for crimes committed in Jefferson County. The decision to drop charges in any criminal prosecution can only be made by a prosecutor with the approval of a judge. The decision whether to prosecute or not prosecute is ultimately up to the prosecutor assigned to the case.

If you are a victim of a crime and you do not wish to pursue the charges that have been filed, please contact the Victim-Witness Advocate.  A victim's opinion is important, and the prosecutor will take those wishes into account when deciding regarding the case.

If you would like to discuss your case, you should speak with the prosecutor handling your matter by calling the Jefferson County Prosecutor's Office at (360) 385-9180 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Please Note:

Washington State Law and the Rules of Professional Conduct prohibit the Jefferson County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office from providing legal advice to members of the public.  If you have a matter that requires legal assistance, you may wish to contact Jefferson Associated Counsel, the public defender for Jefferson County, Northwest Justice Project, Columbia Legal Services, Washington Legal Help, a county bar association or a lawyer listed at the Legal Information Institute.

Show All Answers

1. Does the Prosecutor's Office provide copies of police reports?
2. How do I file criminal charges?
3. How do I find Law Enforcement Agencies?
4. How do I check to see if I have a warrant?
5. How do I drop charges?
6. How do I check the status of a case?
7. How can someone find out who the defense attorney is on a particular criminal case?
8. How do I apply for child support?
9. How do I collect restitution?
10. How do I find a Jefferson County Jail Inmate Roster?
11. How do I find a lawyer?
12. How do I find Courts?
13. How do I identify registered sex offenders in my neighborhood?
14. How do I obtain a No Contact Order?
15. How do I vacate a criminal conviction?