What are my constitutional rights?
All persons accused of any crime or traffic offense that might result in a jail sentence have the following rights:
- To have a lawyer present with you at all hearings.
- To have a lawyer appointed at public expense if you cannot afford to hire one to represent you.
- To represent yourself without a lawyer.
- To a speedy and public trial by a judge or a jury in the county where the crime is alleged to have been committed.
- To remain silent before and during trial, and to refuse to testify against yourself.
- To hear and question the witnesses who testify against you.
- To have witnesses testify for you. These witnesses can be made to appear at no expense to you.
- To be presumed innocent until the charge is proven beyond a reasonable doubt or you enter a plea of guilty.
- To appeal a determination of guilt after a trial.

Show All Answers

1. What are my constitutional rights?
2. Should I talk to a lawyer before entering a plea?
3. How do I obtain a lawyer if I cannot afford one?
4. If I plead guilty, what happens?
5. What happens if I plead not guilty?
6. What alternatives are there for serving a jail sentence?
7. What must I do if I can't pay my fine today?
8. What is a suspended sentence?
9. What if I have a change of address?
10. How do I know what court to go to?
11. What is the address of District Court?