The mission of the On-Site Sewage Program is to minimize the threat of surface and ground water contamination from failing or improperly designed, installed or maintained on-site sewage systems.
Check the schedule for a free septic system class to learn about your septic system. You may be eligible for a rebate on installation of access risers on your septic tank or for your septic systems first monitoring inspection. Review the requirements and application here.
The On-Site Sewage Program provides educational, advisory and permitting services for owners of septic systems and certifications for septic system installers, operations and monitoring specialists and septic pumpers. A Sanitarian of the Day is available Monday through Friday from 9 to 10:30 a.m. on a first come, first served basis either by walk-in or phone to help answer technical and general questions. The phone number is 360-385-9444.
- Certification program for all septic system installers, pumpers and operations and monitoring specialists
- Complaint investigation relating to septic systems
- Education for homeowners and other professionals interested in septic systems
- Enforcement of state and local codes
- Inspection of septic system installations
- Monitoring inspection-evaluation of existing septic systems
- Referral for low-interest loan program to repair failing or substandard septic systems
- Review and issuance of installation and repair permits for septic systems
- Review of: short and long subdivisions, boundary line adjustments, building permits, septic system monitoring reports
- Sanitarian of the day
Program Performance Measures
View the Jefferson County Public Health's performance measures.