Join Our Local Board of Health
We invite you to apply for Jefferson County’s local Board of Health as a Nonelected Member
Following a 2022 change in Washington law, the State Board of Health adopted rules that govern who shall sit as members on local boards of health, including the Jefferson County Board of Health. Specific categories of members have been identified, and a vacancy has been recently announced for a Board of Health Member in the following category: Consumer of Public Health
Who can Apply
“Consumer of Public Health” means the category of persons consisting of county, or health district, residents who have self-identified as having faced significant health inequities or as having lived experiences with public health-related programs.
In addition to meeting the qualifications of an applicant’s selected category, the Board is also required to consider the following factors in selecting a nonelected Board-member.
- Potential conflicts of interest;
- The applicant’s demonstrated commitment to public health;
- Recommendation from current Board of Health members;
- Whether the applicant represents a diversity of expertise and lived experience;
- Whether the applicant represents the geographic diversity of the community; and
- Whether the applicant identifies with a historically underrepresented community when being considered as a non-elected member representing consumers of public health.
Persons selected based on the applications will then be offered an interview-opportunity. Once all interviews are completed, the Board will make recommendations for appointment. This appointment is a three-year commitment.
The only firm time requirement is the two-hour monthly meeting, the third Thursday of each month from 2:30-4:30pm. Occasionally, there may be special meetings. The Board may also form subcommittees to study a particular issue. In the week before a Board meeting, all members are provided with packets, including articles or other hand-outs, which are provided for members to review prior to the meeting.
How to Apply
- Application forms may be picked up in person at the JCPH office at 615 Sheridan Street, Port Townsend, or at the Commissioner’s Office in the basement of the County Courthouse at 1820 Jefferson Street, Port Townsend between the hours of 9:00 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Application forms that are fillable online can be found at Online-Fillable Form Application
- Applications forms that are printable online can be found at Application; these can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or submitted via regular mail to JCPH, Attn: Glenn Gilbert, 615 Sheridan Street, Port Townsend, WA 98368
Applications must be received or postmarked by 4:30 pm on Friday June 30, 2023. Interviews will take place at the Board of Health meeting on July 20, 2023.