How do I turn in my firearms?

What is a firearm? 

RCW 9.41.010(11)  "Firearm" means a weapon or device from which a projectile or projectiles may be fired by an explosive such as gunpowder. "Firearm" does not include a flare gun or other pyrotechnic visual distress signaling device, or a powder-actuated tool or other device designed solely to be used for construction purposes. 

If you own or possess any firearms, or a concealed pistol license:

  • You must give them to the law enforcement officer when he or she serves you with the court order requiring surrender.
  • If you do not have all of your firearms and your concealed pistol license with you to give them to the law enforcement officer when you are served with the court order, then you must give them to the law enforcement agency within 48 hours of the hearing when the order was issued. Call the agency to schedule a time and place for you to bring the weapons to an officer.

How long will the law enforcement agency keep them?

As long as any Extreme Risk Protection Order against you remains in effect.

Do I have to pay the law enforcement agency to keep my firearm?


Do I have to prove that I have turned in my firearms and/or concealed pistol license?

The law enforcement agency that is storing your firearm and/or concealed pistol license will give you a receipt and the agency will file that receipt with the court.


Please contact either Port Townsend Police Department at 360-385-2322 or the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office at 360-385-3831.