2019 Candidate filing period is May 13-17, 2019
In the left bar, click on Offices Open for Election, to see which offices are open for filing and if there is a filing fee.
Filing Fee Petition - number of signatures equal to dollar amount of the filing fee (signatures must be from voters in the district you are filing for). Cannot supplement with more signatures after turning in the petition.
Filing fees are due at the time of filing and are not refundable. Fees are applicable for the following offices:
- City of Port Townsend, Council
- Port of Port Townsend, Commissioner
The Declaration of Candidacy cannot be processed until the fee has been paid.
All information included on the Declaration of Candidacy is public information.
How to file:
- Online: Available Monday, May 13, 9:00 a.m. through Friday, May 17, 4:00 p.m.
- Click here to file online, online candidate filing - only available during the times listed below:
The link is available beginning 9:00 a.m. Monday, May 13, 2019
and disabled promptly at 4:00 p.m. Friday, May 17, 2019.
- In Person: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. during filing week in the Auditor's office, 1820 Jefferson St., Port Townsend
- By mail: The first day we can accept a declaration of candidacy by mail is April 29. The last day we can accept it is by 4:30 p.m. Friday, May 17. The Declaration of Candidacy, and filing fee, if applicable, must be in our office by 4:30 p.m. Friday, May 17th. Mail to: Jefferson County Elections, PO Box 563, Port Townsend WA 98368
- Fax or Email: Beginning Monday, May 13, 8:30 a.m. through 4:30 p.m. Friday, May 17.
FAX: (360) 385-9228 / email: email@example.com. If a filing fee is required, the Declaration of Candidacy will not be processed until the fee has been received. The fee must be received by 4:30 p.m. Friday, May 17.
The last day to withdraw your candidacy is Monday, May 20, 2019 by 4:30 p.m.
Lot draw to determine candidate placement on the ballot will be done Monday, May 20, 2019 at 9:30 a.m. in the Auditor's Office. Candidates and media are invited to observe the process.
When filing, be prepared to:
1. How can I pay the filing fee, if applicable.
- Visa or MasterCard only available if you file online. We have a computer you can use for this purpose.
- Cash, check or money order if you file in-person.
- Check or money order if you file by mail.
2. Provide an email address (optional).
3. Provide a campaign mailing address, phone number, and website address (optional). If you don't, your voter registration address will be published online in the list of candidates who have filed.
Non-Partisan Office Candidates:
With the exception of Park & Recreation Districts and Cemetery Districts *, all offices appear on the Primary Election ballot only if 3 or more candidates file for the same office. The top-2 candidates will go on the General Election ballot. If there are 3 or more candidates for Port District, Commissioner Position 1, only the voters in District 1 will vote in the Primary and the top two voters will be on the General Election ballot for all districts to vote.
* Candidates for Park & Recreation Districts and Cemetery Districts only appear on the General Election ballot, no matter how many candidates file for the positions.
Resources for Candidates:
City Political Signs - available soon